Monday, August 23, 2010

SOAP NUTS & RECIPE


Soap Nuts are the best natural laundry detergent I have found. These little beauties come from a tree and despite their name they are actually the dried fruit from the tree. The seeds are harvested to be used and to be planted to make sure there are soap nut trees for as long as people want soap nuts.

Reasons I love them -

- They're inexpensive! I'm frugal so this is my #1 reason for liking them. They average $0.15-$0.19 per load of laundry depending on the size of bag you purchase.

- They work! These little beauties keep the laundry odor free and clean as well as soft - even with boys!

- I no longer use fabric softener! Soap nuts softens your laundry much as vinegar does. (In case you didn't know it - vinegar is great for softening your laundry!) For a nice smell I simply put 10 or more drops of my favorite essential oil or oil blend on an old wash cloth that I planned to throw out and place it in the dryer.  Lavender works great when washing the sheets and Orange is wonderful for the towels.

- I feel good about using them! They are sustainable and natural. I am protecting my family and my planet! Yeah me!

One bag of 5 soap nuts washes about 5-7 loads of laundry (depending on your water) and then you remove the old and put in new. My husband grew tired of having to change the soap nuts out so I started making liquid. (See recipe below) This made him very happy and since he does do laundry, as do my sons, it is important to make sure they are happy about the laundry procedures. :)

Check out our website for natural laundry soap you can feel good about. BeautePurpose.com

 
SOAP NUT LIQUID

To make Soap Nut Liquid simply add 16 soap nuts to 6 cups of pure water. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. I simmer mine covered. Simmer for about an hour. Allow liquid to cool and remove soap nuts. Store liquid in an airtight glass container. I store mine in the refrigerator to extend the shelf life. Even in the refrigerator the liquid should be used within a few days. Never a problem at my house.

If you like your clothes to smell good I recommend using an old wash cloth as a dryer sheet. Place a few drops of your favorite essential oil or essential oil blend on the wash cloth and through it in the dryer with your clothes.

If you have extra smelly clothes or want extra softness - use a quarter to half cup of white distilled vinegar along with the soap nuts liquid. I do this with our towels and sheets and I love the clean softness that results. Be careful with vinegar as it can lighten dark clothes if the dye is not colorfast. I use it as a bleach alternative since my youngest is allergic to chlorine bleach.

Wishing you wellness,

Regina

No comments:

Post a Comment